Shelf Life of Frozen Sweet Potato Hash

It is often convenient to make larger meals and then freeze the leftovers for eating later. Some foods can be frozen for longer times and still retain their taste and texture. This page contains some advice about the shelf life of frozen sweet potato hash.

I made this wonderful sweet potato hash and had too much of it six months ago! Can I defrost and bake it off or should I throw it away?

Answers

Best Answer

The government pamphlet states 10-12 months freezer life for cooked sweet potatoes.

Your hash may be safe to eat but the real truth as to how good your hash will taste lies in how it was packaged for freezing and what temperature your freezer stays.

It is very difficult (with a family) to keep a refrigerator freezer at a constant 0 degrees. That means your food may not remain at the temperature recommended so may lose more flavor or even not be safe to eat if kept for a long period of time.

Try warming a small amount in the microwave - taste will tell - and I believe you will know right away if you want to serve it to your family.

I would use it very soon. It will still be safe, but it will start to lose its flavor and the texture may change.

Thank you for reporting in.

Depending on how you packaged it could taste just fine. Regardless, I don't think it would harm you. But I would eat it soon.