General AdviceConsumer Advice

Shopping Without a Smartphone

I do surveys online for gift cards and the other day I got one to Target. It was an e-giftcard. I realized after I got it that the store wouldn't take a printed version of e-giftcards. They would only scan it off of a smartphone. The problem is I do not have a smartphone as I think they cost way too much money each month.

I have seen store loyalty programs that only work off of smartphones too. It is getting annoying how everything is going to smartphones. Does anyone here at Thrifty Fun have any ideas on living without a smartphone? I mean I know you can live without one literally. I just find it frustrating how stores are assuming that everyone has one.

Do any of your friends have one that you could transfer this to?

Smartphones are the newest way to do just about anything in today's world. The phones use convenient and fast methods to accomplish the needs and wants of an ever growing economy and to stay current with news, friends etc.

Anyone can manage life without a smartphone, however, they will face ever more difficult problems in the simple basic needs of life as well as communicating, purchasing, traveling etc. Stores, for example, face the very real probability of failing if they do not have the latest in online purchasing; many soon will simply close their actual stores and move to full online service in response to the very real world economy.

There are good smartphone services that do not cost your first born-the 2.16.2016 article below from PC Magazine provides alternatives to high cost plans and explains how to decide which plan is for you.

www.pcmag.com/.../0,2817,2375644,00.asp

I don't have a smartphone either, just an older cell phone. I don't live on my phone and I don't have Facebook. So I'll just miss out on some things that companies offer.