Shopping on a Low-Income Budget

Category Shopping
Hands holding shopping list.
This is a guide about shopping on a low-income budget. As prices rise getting the things you need each month can take some smart shopping and budgeting.

It gets harder each month, when the prices of food keep climbing up, and your money coming in does not! Well, that is why I have to shop frugally. I make 3 lists.

1. One for all my dollar store items. There are dollar store items which are exactly like name brand. And then there are some I would never get. You learn this by trying. Most pantry shelf items are fine, like; chicken broth, canned fruit, canned tomatoes, vegetables, mayo, mustard, spices & extracts, pickles, relishes, hot cereal and so much more.

2. One for my local CVS Pharmacy. This is where I get all my prescriptions filled and earn "Extra Bucks" toward my purchases. And they have the best sales on personal care products; deodorant, hair spray, toothpaste. After coupons, the price is just right.

3. For the last, I check my local flyers and see out of two stores which is having the best sales. I buy only what is on sale and the must have items I need.
This works for me and I certainly see the savings. I cut very few coupons. When I do, I use them.

Top Comment

We also get our cleaning supplies at the dollar store. They work well and are much cheaper there. My husband and I do well on our small income but in the summer our two teenaged grandsons stay with us and we want to feed them well. So we start months in advance planning and buying for their stay. I buy the "yellow tag" meat since meat is our biggest grocery store item. I freeze it and when I cook, I make things that go a long way such as spaghetti, gravy and rice, jambalaya, ect. We live for summers with them and always want them to enjoy themselves and look forward to next year with us.

Admirable! I also use every discount, free product, and club priced items at my walking-distance Safeway. There is time involved adding items online to the club card . One thing I buy at Costco is the coconut oil; Safeway has only small jars of this must-have.

Thank you for your feedback!!

I have been on a pension for 10 years but my income will drastically drop by about $800 when I turn 65 in a few months so these tips were so helpful. Some of them I already do but I can always use/need more. Thank you all & take care Coreen