Short Onions Not Growing

The white and yellow short onions sets were planted 4 weeks ago and have not done anything. Further my green onions have been in from seed for 6 weeks and have just broken up through the soil and have not done anything either. I have never had an onion actually bulb out to any size. We are in Southwest Florida.

By KWH from Fort Myers, FL

The weather is ideal for growing onions. However, here I never had much luck planting my seeds in the ground. I find it best to just use a drum or pot and sprinkle my seeds on top. One thing about onions seeds is that birds won't eat them. Onion's take time to grow and mature. I plant a lot of bunching onions here and when they start bunching I separate the onions and replant them. This way I always have onions growing. Here is an excellent guide that can give you a few tips and pointers for growing your onions.
www.growveg.com/.../