Silver Jewelry Left in Cleaner Too Long

I forgot my silver jewelry in a jar of Connoisseurs Cleaner and it came out all discolored. I found the composition online. It is thiourea, sulfuric acid, and alcohol ethoxylates. Is there any hope to salvage it?

If the bracelet was plated in silver it may have removed this. Try rubbing the chain together to see if that brightens them up. If it does then you may not have lost the finish. I like the tbsp. baking soda in an aluminum foil pan with boiling water added. Set jewellery in there and leave it until the water is cool. Or use a glass dish and a hand sized piece of foil.

I love the tarnished patina that the cleaner has made these!! I know it's probably not super helpful, but let me know if you would ever consider selling this set to an adoring home! : )

Did you get any help for this? I did the same with a necklace - left too long in "Jeweler's" liquid cleaner. I left it in too long along with decent costume earrings & now my real silver necklace is black and other colors! Help!

Anonymous

I had the same problem yesterday and I learned that leaving it in cleaner too long makes it have a weird colored film. I couldn't find help so I took a sanding sponge like u use for sanding walls and it looks brand new!

I left mine in the silver jewelry cleaner too long and it had this really white coating over it, it was no longer shiny but I used a nail buffer, one that wasn't like a full on nail file and then used rubbing alcohol on the ring and now it looks brand new!

Wrights Sterling Silver polish! The paste kind... I left me SS nevklace and pendant in the ammonia based liquid SS cleaner too long. When I took it out it was grayish and dull. I thought I had ruined it but I just polished it up with the Wrights SS paste cleaner and they look brand new! Yay! No jeweler needed. Not sure if it would still work if your jewelry was left so long it turned black, but its worth a try!

Yes !! I left a stainless steel bracelet in jewelry cleaner ,and just like a lot of people who said they left Sterling silver jewelry in too long ,it was grey looking and dull.I tried every thing . I did the alluminum foil and baking soda thing .I even took a dremmal and the small attachment to scrub it ,nothing worked .I was reading about how to fix it and had seen a couple of times about this cream .Wright's silver polish . Usually for cleaning old silver to get the oxidation off and to make old silver look new wasn't sure if it would work for my stainless steel bracelet but at this point I figured what the heck.

My bracelet was a bike chain made out of stainless steel so there was a lot intricate places to get into, so I used a q-tip and worked throughout the whole bracelet really with not a lot of elbow grease I was amazed that it took the grade alness away and my shiney bracelet came back so it really work great for stainless steel as well as silver

Anonymous

I left a silver/diamond ring too long in a toothpaste and water solution. When I took it out there were pieces of tarnish on the band. I gently filled the damaged parts with a nail filer and it came right off!

Hey all, I'm saying the same thing. I put my solid Sterling Silver ring in Silver cleaner for like 30 seconds even though it said 10 seconds max and it turned black a day later.

Now it's 3 days later and I had to clean it again. I just used baking soda and water, and it has worked, but I had to do it twice.

I left my stainless steel bracelet in jewelry cleaner for too long. I have tried all the home remedies none of them seem to work. It wasn't until I read about Wright's silver cleaner and it was the cream kind I worked it through the bracelet with not a lot of effort then I dried it with a clean towel and was amazed that it was shiny again this bracelet had a lot of little parts in intricate parts to it so I had to use a q-tip but it is as shiny as the day I bought it.the biggest thing is I just wasn't sure if it would work for stainless steel as it was a silver cleaner but it worked wonderfully

Try brasso... worked a miracle !

Anonymous

I just did the recommended boiling water, piece of aluminum foil and baking soda. VIOLA. sparkling clean

Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryJuly 16, 2015
🎂
🌻
📓