Silver Jewelry Left in Cleaner Too Long

I forgot my silver jewelry in a jar of Connoisseurs Cleaner and it came out all discolored. I found the composition online. It is thiourea, sulfuric acid, and alcohol ethoxylates. Is there any hope to salvage it?

If the bracelet was plated in silver it may have removed this. Try rubbing the chain together to see if that brightens them up. If it does then you may not have lost the finish. I like the tbsp. baking soda in an aluminum foil pan with boiling water added. Set jewellery in there and leave it until the water is cool. Or use a glass dish and a hand sized piece of foil.

I love the tarnished patina that the cleaner has made these!! I know it's probably not super helpful, but let me know if you would ever consider selling this set to an adoring home! : )

Did you get any help for this? I did the same with a necklace - left too long in "Jeweler's" liquid cleaner. I left it in too long along with decent costume earrings & now my real silver necklace is black and other colors! Help!

Anonymous

I had the same problem yesterday and I learned that leaving it in cleaner too long makes it have a weird colored film. I couldn't find help so I took a sanding sponge like u use for sanding walls and it looks brand new!

I left mine in the silver jewelry cleaner too long and it had this really white coating over it, it was no longer shiny but I used a nail buffer, one that wasn't like a full on nail file and then used rubbing alcohol on the ring and now it looks brand new!

Wrights Sterling Silver polish! The paste kind... I left me SS nevklace and pendant in the ammonia based liquid SS cleaner too long. When I took it out it was grayish and dull. I thought I had ruined it but I just polished it up with the Wrights SS paste cleaner and they look brand new! Yay! No jeweler needed. Not sure if it would still work if your jewelry was left so long it turned black, but its worth a try!