Sewing MachinesMachines

Singer 2277 Tradition Keeps Jamming

The fabric does not seem to advance on its own. The thread on the bottom becomes a mass of jumbled wad of thread. The machine is two days old so I'm a bit disappointed that after one day of sewing this would happen. After reading other posts I rewound the bobbin, rethreaded the needle, (which is a pain in the butt too, I don't like the automatic needle threader") and adjusted the tension, and cleaned under the plate. I have not oiled it yet. Could it need it after one day? Suggestions?

By Margaret from Renton, WA

Definitely shouldn't need oiling this new in its sewing life! More than likely the real problem is loading the bobbin - incorrect seating will cause the thread nest you're describing.

Your machine uses the 'front-load' bobbin system and it's one of the very hardest of the bobbin systems to load and seat correctly! Open this pdf of the user manual on your computer and go to page 13, enlarge the diagram and practice loading the bobbin correctly until you get it right - don't be discouraged because nearly everyone has this problem with the front (or equally pesky side-load system) loader. You might also consider going to the shop where you bought the machine and asking for some in-store tutoring.

http://www.sing  a6bf6185640c.pdf

Or you could take the machine back and exchange it for a top-load (practically jam proof, I won't sew on anything else!) system. A comparable machine to the 2277 is the Singer Talent 3323 (one-step buttonhole, a feature I highly recommend!). You'll love it, it has all the features of the 2277 without the front load bobbin system!