Singer Automatic Buttonhole Not Working Properly

I have a Singer 5500 and I'm trying to make buttonholes automatically. My machine won't do it correctly and I have watched so many videos on it (which were not good). It will sew to the top then just start sewing side to side in one place. Help!

You have me somewhat confused. Can you post a picture of what it looks like?? Mine does what you state, because thats what its supposed to do to (goes back and forth to anchor the stitching). When you say it goes up to the top, is it just sewing one side of the button hole and not coming back down to do the other side? Or is it the type that sews up both sides at the same time?

Some buttonholers sew that way. They sew the end and one side. You may have to turn the fabric around to complete the buttonhole.

Do you have the manual that came with it? You may be able to get it online.

Some of the videos are not very clear or confusing. Singer does have some good videos but then you have to find one for your specific problem.
If you are still having problems, I would suggest you contact Singer directly as they will answer your questions either by telephone or by email. They also have your manual listed (free).

www.singerco.com/contact-us