Singer Sewing Machine Not Sewing?

I have a Singer Fashion Mate Model 237. The presser foot will raise and lower. It will pick up the bobbin thread and bring it through to the top. It feeds the fabric properly. I have not moved the tension from number five.

The problem is that it is not sewing. This started after I broke a needle. Is there a particular needle that must be used with this sewing machine? I read in the manual about different needles for different fabrics.

I have been the owner of this machine since 1966. It has always met the basic sewing needs that I have.

Best Answer

I have 2 sewing machines and they both use the same needles so I don't think this is your issue. The needles for machines are in gages so that it does not put large holes in delicate fabric or a needle that is strong enough to sew jeans. I think your issue is that the needle has been put in wrong.

There is a flat side on the needed and it needs to be put in right in the machine. The next step is to open the bobbin area and take out the bobbin. Now remove the two levels by pushing them off the medal casing. Remove this and the piece the bobbin sits on. Now take your small brush and clean out this area. It seems like you have a small bit of the needle down in the bobbin area.

I have always threaded the needle from left to right. I have the needle inserted up as high as it will go.

Thank you for your assistance. I will check on the flat side.

I love this site for all my sewing parts. They even have needles and other parts for your machine as well .

Here is the link - www.sewingpartsonline.com/singer-237-sewing-machine-parts.aspx

Singer history has this information about this machine:
"Singer Fashion Mate 237. Made in Italy, manual dated 1968."

Did your machine arrive with a lot of needles??
You have probably not had to change needles very often but it may be time for a new one and Singer sells needles that will fit and you can pick the one for the type of sewing you usually do.
You can email them and state what model machine you have and they will recommend the ones you need. Their form asks for a lot of information but for what you need the only information they will need is the model number.

www.singer.com/Contact-Us

www.singer.com/.../needles-needle-threaders

You have a manual but just in case someone needs one this is link to a free PDF copy.

www.singer.com/.../support?title=237

If you have not cleaned your machine recently this would be a good time to do that; especially around the bobbin/ under the stitch plate as lint and dist accumulate and can cause problems with needles also.
If you're not familiar with doing this there are YouTube videos for anything you need.

Here are links to a couple of instructional videos in case someone needs refreshing on threading or basics.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2DPIbR2lKw

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Singer...

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesMay 12, 2020
🎆
😷
😎
🐛
👔
🌻