PoultryRecipes

Slow Cooker Turkey with Gravy

This turkey is moist, tasty, and saves you from cleaning a dirty oven.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 5-7 hours

Total Time: 5 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours

Yield: 6-8 servings

Source: Shared on Facebook

I have a slow-cooker with a removable liner that I can use on the stovetop. I used that instead of a skillet. I also chop my vegetables in no time with my 50-cent thrift-shop chopper!

1. In a large, nonstick skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the vegetables that you chopped and cook for 8-10 minutes. The onion should be translucent and vegetables lightly browned.
  2. Stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the flour turns golden. Whisk in 1 cup of the broth, working to smooth out as many lumps as possible as the mixture thickens.
  3. Stir in remaining broth and water. Add the thyme and bay leaves.
  4. Ad

5. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Season the turkey breast with salt and pepper. Place the turkey in the slow cooker, breast side down. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours.
  6. When the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, transfer the turkey to a cutting board. Tent with foil to keep warm while you make the gravy.
  7. Ad

8. Strain the liquid in the slow cooker into a saucepan. Let it sit a few minutes and skim the fat off. Bring the gravy to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often, until it thickens a little. It will not be as thick as traditional gravy, but you can thicken with cornstarch. Put cornstarch and cold water in a separate bowl and mix. Stir in to the gravy, and cook 2-3 minutes.
  9. Ad

10. Taste gravy and add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
  11. Carve the turkey and serve with the gravy.