Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

About a year ago we had a severe storm that tore a 20 ft hole in our roof. Contractors came out, and repaired the roof, drywall, and paint. Now it's as good as new. Fast forward to yesterday I'm on the computer working and my hard wired smoke detectors all start going off. I quickly ran through the house checking for fire/smoke, thankfully I found nothing. I then contemplated one of the batteries went dead so I pull all the batteries, still no luck.

Next, I went to the circuit breaker box and selected multiple GFI breakers to off position. After waiting a few minutes I switched back on the breakers and they started going off again. Being it was late on Saturday and we were not in danger of a fire I decided I would research further and possible call an electrician for Monday.

After searching the internet on this subject I've come up with the following repair opportunities:

• replace batteries and check
  • replace detectors and check
  • call electrician and spend min $500

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Oh yes, I'm not sure if the home damage occurring is relative, I personally don't believe so or I would have had an issue before now. Thank you.

Sstchester from Haslet, TX

Answers:

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

Try taking a vacuum and blowing them all out. Even a cob web that has gotten in or a speck of dust will set them off. I had this problem and once I did this, but I used a blow dryer problem was solved.

Julie (11/19/2008)

By Julie

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

We had that problem when we first moved into our house 10 years ago. The place had been empty for several years and I had cleaned it thoroughly before we moved in. However, I didn't think to open the smoke alarms and vacuum them. I do now every time we check the batteries.
It cured our problem in no time. Good luck. (11/19/2008)

By Shosha

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

We had a hard wired smoke detector go off after we'd had a new roof put on. I believe that when the old roof was off that moisture got into it from the open roof and that was coming through the attic. When the fire department was out I told them about the new roof and they told me that's what caused it was it malfunctioned due to moisture. (11/19/2008)

By Debbie52

Smoke Alarms Won't Shut Off

I believe they're supposed to be replaced every 10 years anyway due to malfunctioning, just to be safe. (12/29/2008)

By susanmajp