Social Security and Child Support

Social Security is sending money to the wrong child support account; what can we do? They won't give us any tracking information other that to say it went to the Sacrament office of child support. California, the originating jurisdiction, doesn't know where the funds are and keeps referring us back to Colorado, the jurisdiction of our residence. And Colorado child support can't get an answer from Social Security! Madness. What do we do and who can assist us in getting this taken care of?

If Social Security didn't make this error,'than you are a victim of identity theft. This is a case for the police department.

We had a similar issue after my first husband passed away involving one of the kids ss. It took several months to get it straightened out. The ss office had inadvertently transposed some numbers of my daughters bank account. So, instead of it being electronically deposited into her account, it was going into someone elses, and they were not reporting it as not being their money.

Have the bank, ss and the child support people all verify the correct account numbers, bank routing and account numbers, ss number and any other numbers. Most likely somewhere, some one has numbers wrong. Everything is done electronically nowdays and 1 wrong digit upsets it all.

It seems you have been placed on a merry-go-round and it will probably take more power than you have to make someone look into your problem.

I am a big advocate of using an ombudsman in cases like this - whenever possible. Most government agencies have someone to help with your type of situation.

I have never had to use the following agency but maybe you could try here before you have to hire a legal advisor.

oig.ssa.gov/report

www.icarol.info/ResourceView2.aspx?org=2385&agencynum...

when I'm stuck in bureacratic loops, what I do is contact the department that's most likely to get back at me soonest. IE if I am waiting for customer service i will tend to contact the NEW SALES department because i know they really want to take those calls

In this case, I would skip the middleman and go right to the FRAUD department "You can help protect your investment in Social Security. Take time to learn all the facts on how we work to prevent fraud. Remember, if you suspect fraud, report it or call the fraud hotline at 1-800-269-0271."

I am betting that if you start out saying that someone is defrauding them, they will hustle.

I would call your local SS office, tell them you are calling your representative.... and then do it..... might want to call President trump... I am guessing that alone might suddendly fix the whole darn mess..

You should check with your state attorney general to find out where this is to be taken from

Go to the ssa locally in person and sit until you see a supervisor

See if you can have SS put a hold or freeze on payment to child support. Find out where you are supposed to file for child support from- with California or with Colorado, then re-apply if need be.

Contact SS and provide them with the correct information. You have a right to know if the account number. SS needs to provide you the account number so you can retrieve your money whether they or child support messed up.