Soft Latch Hook?

It's been years since I made a latch hook rug, but I want to teach a friend because I think it'd be therapeutic for him. However, I'd like us to make soft pillows (sort of a stress pillow kind of idea) and I'm worried about the stiff/scratchy canvas underneath/between the otherwise soft yarn.

I think the simple repetition of latch hooking is something he can pick up easily and feel like he's actually accomplishing something without getting overwhelmed about "doing it right." He used to dabble in drawing sort of simple-but-elaborate designs and I thought it'd be nice to translate one of those into a latch hook pillow. 1-because he's more likely to use a pillow than a rug or fuzzy wall-hanging, and 2-pillows are smaller than rugs.

But that goes back to the softness of the canvas. I don't want the cool pillow he designed to be a scratchy uncomfortable experience to lean against that negates the satisfaction of making it. We're going for positive experiences here.

Any recommendations for what can be used to soften a standard latch hook canvas? Or a particular brand that is especially soft? Or a different sort of canvas/cloth that can be used instead? Most canvases I saw at the store seemed to be too small for a latch hook to fit through, and whenever I do any search online for "soft latch hook canvas" or "how to soften latch hook canvas" or some variation on that, I only get the standard latch hook canvas ads talking about how stiff they are.

Hoping someone can point me in a helpful direction.

Thanks!

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

You could latch hook with plastic canvas. It will be firm, but not scratchy.

Here is DIY Shaggy Latch Hook Cushion

mypoppet.com.au/.../

The author recommends 100% cotton fiber canvas. I think it will not be very stiff.

Bronze Tip Medal for All Time! 59 Tips

Good video on rug hooking & you might want to contact the instructor to ask her questions:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqzRpBPOxU
This looks like a nice rug & a good way to use up old t-shirts:

scratchandstitch.com/.../

I found this in the description of the Locker Hook Rug Canvas:
"Sizing washes out so that canvas becomes soft and pliable."

woolery.com/locker-hook-rug-canvas.html

So just wash the locker hook canvas and it will become soft.

Usually latch hook canvas gets softer after washing, but I don't know how soft you want the canvas to be. I did not find canvas special for pillows. All you can do is buy some high quality cotton latch hook canvas and wash it before starting your project.

I think these links will be useful to you:

www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Latch-Hook-Rug.html

How-to Turn A Latch Hook Into A Pillow

domesticstrata.com/.../

www.ehow.com/how_4488625_make-pillow-from-latch...

A video how to sew a custom latch hook pillow

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qn_ICXS1M

Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 19, 2022
🎂
🎃
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Soft-Latch-Hook.html