Soothing a Whining Puppy at Night

Puppies may be lonely and whine at night, unable to sleep. To help soothe your pup you can try an old ticking clock, a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, or even a blanket that smells like you. More suggestions can be found on this page.

I have a 9 week old Pit mixed with Chihuahua. It is very hard to get my pup to sleep. She whines a lot when she lays by herself. How do I make her sleep by herself and not with me in the bed?

Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

You should give her something with your scent on it. Make sure it is something she can cuddle in. This is important,it is the warmth and scent of you she craves! For the first week make a place for her near you,than make her a permanent place of your choosing later!

Best Answer

You can wrap a ticking alarm clock in a towel and put it in her bed.

Best Answer

Poor pup misses its birth mum and may also be a little hungry!!

When I had this challenge, I fed her a very small meal (just a few bites of her soft food since she had outgrown mother's milk), then I used a thick fleece blanket in the crate, along with a stuffed duck (nothing she could bite off--no eyes etc.), then I put the crate next to my bed and put an old fashioned alarm clock OUTSIDE the crate on the side where she liked to lay her little head down.

This worked most of the time. The few times it did not work, I slept on the floor with my hand in the crate. Yes, I was a helicopter mother, but it only took a few times to do this and she outgrew the whining. Feeding her a small amount at night was the most effective of the things I did.

8 weeks is SO YOUNG. Hopefully your sweet pup will outgrow it quickly.

Best Answer

A friend had this problem. Put a clock that quietly ticked and a heating device under his little quilt worked great

Best Answer

You can try several things. If you have a bed for the dog make sure you have lined it with a blanket. Now under the blanket you can put in a heating pad and set it to very low heat. The puppy misses his mom and is looking for comfort that he finds in you.

Most people say to put an clock with them so the puppy can heat the ticking of the clock. This does work but you can also get a few stuffed dog toys to add to the bed I find out this one works well too.

If you have a new puppy that whines at night, take a wind up alarm clock and place it in the crate with him. The ticking will soothe him, and you just might get a little sleep!

By Linda Craft

Answers:

Soothing a Whining Puppy

Just be sure to turn off the alarm feature first! Otherwise, you'll have one poor scared pup when the alarm starts clanging! (07/20/2005)

By Lynne

Soothing a Whining Puppy

Also, you can put a hot water bottle with a cover on it with the puppy and the alarm clock. It reminds the puppy of its mother. :) (07/21/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Soothing a Whining Puppy

Put the puppy's crate in a place where he can see you so he will know you are there. Also, if it starts whining just put your hand in front of the crate so he can sniff it, but don't say anything to him. (08/09/2005)

By Chris

Soothing a Whining Puppy

The hot water bottle (even a covered one) and an alarm clock are a bad, BAD idea. Puppies chew a LOT! Aside from the teething, there is the anxiety issue. They sometimes chew when they're upset. If you put foreign objects in his crate, he may decide to chew on them, and small parts could be swallowed and lodge in his intestines or choke him. Never, never leave a puppy unattended with toys or other (non-pet indicated) items. This is very, very dangerous and has led to many puppies having to have surgery, and even death. I know, I'm a vet. (08/29/2007)

By K

Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 11, 2020
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-02-12 23:07:03 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️