Staying on Medicaid After Marriage

My two children and I are currently on Medicaid, I recently got married. My husband makes 700 a week and I'm not working. We pay $1400 in rent and buy 300 dollars of food every two weeks. Will my two children and I still quality for Medicaid ?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

December 19, 20180 found this helpful

Once you marry your incomes are combined. If you go over the limit you may not qualify for Medicaid anymore.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 19, 20180 found this helpful

Medicaid is not the same in every state so you will have to go to Google Medicaid your state or zip code and you should get links to Medicaid programs that have places to put your total household income (gross pay - before taxes, etc) as well as number of adults and children. There may be other questions but complete it honestly and you should see whether you qualify in your state.

  • No records are kept of your answers so be sure you are honest or you will not receive a correct answer.
  • This should not be your last step as this is just a quick review and you will have to go back to your Medicaid provider and complete the necessary legal forms.
  • Advertisement

  • Be sure to do this soon as Social Security/Medicaid tell you when you first sign up that you have to report any changes in income with a certain number of days or there could be penalties.
  • If you are on any other government programs (food-stamps/children benefits) you will have to notify them also so please do not take very long to get these things up to date with your state programs. Many people have had to repay funds because they did not report in a timely manner (with Medicaid and Food stamps).
  • I believe your children will still qualify with Medicaid but only your state can tell you for sure.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 19, 20180 found this helpful

Cybergrannie gave you the best advice, and is correct that it is different in each state.

You may have other options besides Medical Assitance, especially for your children.

There is a program called SCHIP or sometimes just CHIP:


It is for children up to age 19 and it is available in many states with various configurations of payment from totally free to paying a small stipend to have the insurance for the children. Many states even have important dental and eye benefits rolled into the SCHIP program. Some even have other enefits like they give discounts to things for children, like zoos, museums, and such.

The link i gave you will help you learn more.

Then, there is Marketplace insurance (people call it Obamacare). You may qualify for one of those programs and may get a tax credit to make it more affordable.

A link to learn more is

Depending on your situation, you may qualify for a special open enrollment, since the deadline for enrollment has passed.

This is all very complicated and I suggest one of two things:

1. Find out where your state senator is and call and ask them to help you get this all straightned out. They have tools and resources to do this and they do not charge/


2. If you have an insurance company you like and they have an in person store, like several big insurers have in my town, go to one of these stores and one of the licensed insurance brokers can give you the low down on all the options as you may need different insurances for you and your husband vs. your children.

First choice would be do this with your state senator though. I found mine by googling my city the phrase state senator.

The benefit of doing this with a state senator's office, is they can tell you if you will be eligible for wrap around food stamps, heat assistance, reduced cost internet and such. It is also a free service (although an insurance broker is also a free service).

In my state, if you qualify for the Low Energy Income Assistance program for example (which you can learn when you apply for various government insurance programs (like above) is it opens up doors to many other services, internet at a very low rate, help getting your home winterized if you own a home, and even access to special energy saving light bulbs and surge protectors. My state is pretty amazing for the help it offers, and I do understand some states are even better.


Post back how it all goes for you so I know you are getting all your ducks in a row!! Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal LegalDecember 19, 2018
Birthday Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/18 11:33:52 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!