Sterilizing Water Containers

Now that you can refill the water containers for your home dispenser, you will want to sterilize them periodically. This is a guide about sterilizing water containers.

I refill my 5 gallon water container, what is recommended for sterilizing them, to keep from bacteria growing? Thanks.

Marsha from Norfolk, NE

By janbou (Guest Post)

Just use boiling hot water and 1/2 - 1 cup of bleach in the container. Let the mixture sit no longer than 1/2 hour and then rince the container out with clean water. (I would also use boild or sterilized water to rince the container out as often 'regular' tap water has many chemicals in it which would defeat the purpose of sterilizing the container in the first place!)

I would suggest boiling water and some vinegar thrown in as well as I can't imagine drinking the water after the bleach is in there... even if you rinse well.
But that is personal preference.

I use crushed ice and white vinegar in mine. The ice is for a scrubbing and the vineger is to kill the bacteria.

I use about two cups of ice and 1 cup vinegar and shake, shake, shake. Ellen

By (Guest Post)

My suggestion is a bit off. I buy a bottle of cheap vodka and I use it for all sorts of things. I keep 2 liter soda bottles and rinse them out with the vodka and then fill them will water and freeze... It is also a good way to sterilize your smaller bottles. We re-use all we can. It drys faster and sterilizes to boot.