Stove Top Cornbread

Looking for a recipe to make cornbread on stove top. Thank You

Tonnie from Hawaii

Best Answer

Here's my Recipe, I use it when it's just to hot to turn on the oven!

~Stovetop Cornbread~

Since you don't have to wait for an oven to heat up, this cornbread is super quick to make. Be sure to use a heavy skillet to prevent burning the bottom, and don't overcook.

~*~

Ingredients

1/2 cup buttermilk or soured milk (see TIP)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon honey or sugar (use more, if desired)
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons oil or butter, for the pan

Measure buttermilk . Add egg and beat with a fork. Stir in oil and honey or sugar.

In another bowl, mix cornmeal, salt and baking soda.

Heat skillet, add 2 teaspoons butter or oil and spread to cover bottom and sides of skillet thoroughly.

Add cornmeal mixture to milk mixture, stir briefly, and pour into hot skillet.

Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. (If skillet has no lid, improvise with foil, or a plate)

Check after 6 - 8 minutes. (It may take a few minutes more.)

Cornbread has cooked long enough when firm around the edges and center is almost firm.

Turn off heat and let stand, covered, for a few minutes. It will continue to cook.
Serve warm.

ENJOY!!

Is sugar absolutely imperative to a cornbread recipe? I like mine without sugar.

Being from the south, I fry cornbread on top of the stove. You just fry it like you would pancakes but with a little more oil or shortening. Good luck.

Thank you will try that

Have you ever tried fried cornmeal mush or hush puppies? Neither is exactly cornbread but both are incredibly good! To find recipes log on to "southernfood".

Then where it says "search" type in "fried cornmeal mush" or "hush puppies". They also have recipes for stove top cornbread. Cornbread is my favorite food so believe me when I say their recipes are good!

If you have a heat diffuser for your burner use it other wise very low heat. Use iron skillet if you have it, don't know if lighter one will work. Make up cornbread like you're gonna bake it in oven, pour into hot skillet with little oil( i spray mine first) cover with lid, let bake till sorta dry looking on top, flip to brown off top. I make this all the time here in Texas 'cause the summer is so hot and the oven is toooo much. Also since i just love fried bread I make up a batch of cornbread leaving the batter fairly thick and fry up by tablespoonfuls in about two to three inches oil. Hope this helps you.

By Sue R. (Guest Post)

I find it especially scrumptious when I use 2 packs of Martha White's mix and fold in one half chopped habanera pepper with 2 tbs of whole sweet kernel corn. Try it!

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceOctober 19, 2007
🎂
🌻
📓