Strawberry Banana Bread

I had 5 overripe bananas and some leftover strawberries that were also a bit past their prime. This recipe made two loaves of bread. My boys loved it!

Source: I modified a recipe that I found on Cooks.com

Reserve additional strawberries, nutmeg and sugar for garnish on top.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mash bananas and strawberries together and set aside. There will be chunks of fruit but it should be well combined.
  3. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together. Set aside
  4. Cream butter and sugar together then add eggs and mix well. Add in flour mixture then fruit mixture until combined.
  5. Grease 2 6x9 inch loaf pans. Add mixture to both pans evenly. It should fill about 2/3 of the pan.
  6. I garnished the top of each loaf with sliced strawberries, nutmeg and sugar.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick comes clean when poked in the center of the loaf. Allow to cool before removing from loaf pans.

I wound up cooking one in a metal loaf pan and one in stoneware. The metal cooked slightly faster and was easier to remove but the stoneware turned out fine too. I just had to let it cool longer before removing the loaf.

I don't see how much butter you used in your ingredients. I'd love to make this today to salvage some bananas and strawberries. If I don't hear back, I'll try 3/4 stick of unsalted butter. Hope it works!

Editor's Note: Oops, thanks for alerting us. It was 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter. I have added it to the original recipe above.