Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

When cooking macaroni and cheese out of the box, add a couple handfuls of plain elbow noodles to the boiling water. Follow the directions on the box using dry milk and water as a substitute for regular milk (have a cup made up and ready for such purposes kept in the fridge). The sauce made following the box directions should still be enough, if not add a tiny touch more milk. This always gives me atleast one extra serving!

By Debbie Ryan from Ontario, Canada

More Tips:

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I was just thinking about that today at lunch time when I was making the mac and cheese. I always add a handful of dry shells to the Velveta shells and cheese to stretch it. (01/06/2006)

By Mominga

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same with the Hamburger Helper types of mixes. With these, I add a cup of pasta and it works out fine.
(01/07/2006)

By 75043

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

This trick also works with Rice-a-roni. I just add 1/2 cup of regular long-grain white rice, along with an extra cup of water. Tastes just as good! An added bonus: the same great taste with less salt! (01/07/2006)

By Barb

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same thing with hamburger helper mixes and it works great. Now when I add it to the chilihelper I also add more chili spices and other spices when I make it.

Ziggee (01/07/2006)

By Ziggee

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

Add ground beef (add salt, pepper, garlic powder), a can of drained corn and a can of cheddar cheese soup to your mac and cheese and it's like a homemade hamburger helper. (01/18/2006)

By Krissi