Stretching Prepared Box Foods

Category Cheap Meals
One method of stretching boxed food mixes such as noodle dishes is to add more plain pasta and water. This is a guide about stretching prepared box foods.

I stretch or "expand" a box of noodle-roni by adding a little extra water (and milk if needed) with my own "cheap" egg noodles or angel hair pasta. It saves me from having to buy two boxes to feed a family of 5 and I don't have to worry about leftovers because I can make just enough. This also works great to stretch a box of rice-a-roni if you add a little of your own "cheap" rice (and a little extra water). Then you won't have to buy the larger, more expensive family size.

By Marianne

By Pat (Guest Post)
Top Comment

If your only slighly more adventurous and you want to save even more money try this. Buy your pasta on sale; often you can get it for 50 cents per pound or less. The rice is cheap, too... and you can use a cheap dry chicken boullion.

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3 cup THIN spaghetti, broken into 1 inch pieces, about 1/6 of a 1 pound box of dried pasta
3/4 cup white enriched rice
1 1/2 cups water with appropriate chicken boullion
1/2 small chopped onion
Salt

In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add spaghetti and rice and brown for about 4 minutes. Add broth or water, salt and pepper, and bring liquid to a full boil. Cover pot and REDUCE HEAT TO A SIMMER cook 18-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, serve and enjoy.

Experiment... add leftover veggies and/or meat to this. You'll never have to buy Rice-A-Roni again!

By Crystal (Guest Post)

This is a WONDERFUL tip, I don't have a large family, but this is still a great idea!!! I will definitely use it! Thanks!!!!!

You can also stretch a box of Hamburger, Tuna, or Chicken helper the same way....I add a couple of handfuls of similar pasta (I have several on hand)...and often stir in a pound of a frozen veggie, a can of veggies, or fresh. This makes a hearty meal for a family of five, including 3 teenagers.

By Connie (Guest Post)

OMG....... you guys are great!! I never thought of that and I needed it when my kids where still at home...I had 3 kids and 2 adults and one box wasnt quite enough so I would make 2 boxes and part of it would go to waste.

Thanks!!!