Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

Category Food Fixes
Bowl of mac n cheese.
Sometimes you need to feed a crowd with only what you have on hand. Many boxed pasta dishes can go farther with the addition of ingredients like vegetables, cheese or pasta. This is a page about stretching boxed macaroni and cheese.

We are a family of six. Two of the six are teenage boys. To stretch my food bill, I buy generic Shells and Cheese. When serving it, I use two boxes, but only use one of the cheese packets. Then the next time that I want to serve mac and cheese with dinner, I boil plain macaroni and use my other cheese packet left over from the last time. One cheese packet is more than enough cheese. I personally love home made mac and cheese, but the kids like the cheese in the Shells and Cheese.

By Liz from New Baden, IL

When cooking macaroni and cheese out of the box, add a couple handfuls of plain elbow noodles to the boiling water. Follow the directions on the box using dry milk and water as a substitute for regular milk (have a cup made up and ready for such purposes kept in the fridge). The sauce made following the box directions should still be enough, if not add a tiny touch more milk. This always gives me at least one extra serving!

By Debbie Ryan from Ontario, Canada

More Tips:

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I was just thinking about that today at lunch time when I was making the mac and cheese. I always add a handful of dry shells to the Velveta shells and cheese to stretch it. (01/06/2006)

By Mominga

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same with the Hamburger Helper types of mixes. With these, I add a cup of pasta and it works out fine.
(01/07/2006)

By Faye Lewis

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

This trick also works with Rice-a-roni. I just add 1/2 cup of regular long-grain white rice, along with an extra cup of water. Tastes just as good! An added bonus: the same great taste with less salt! (01/07/2006)

By Barb

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same thing with hamburger helper mixes and it works great. Now when I add it to the chilihelper I also add more chili spices and other spices when I make it.

Ziggee (01/07/2006)

By Athena

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

Add ground beef (add salt, pepper, garlic powder), a can of drained corn and a can of cheddar cheese soup to your mac and cheese and it's like a homemade hamburger helper. (01/18/2006)

By Krissi

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesApril 8, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂