Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe

Category Main Dishes
The flavors of shredded chicken, broccoli, and blue cheese meld to make this delicious main dish. Have some tonight. This page contains a stuffed portobello mushroom recipe.

Large portobello mushroom stuffed with chicken and sauces. It's delicious, healthy, and a bit exotic.

• 1 medium to large portobello mushroom per person
  • olive oil as needed, or use salt free butter
  • 2-3 Tbsp. water, plus a little extra
  • about a half tsp. Worcestershire sauce per mushroom
  • about 1/3 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet per mushroom
  • enough Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb sauce to fill the stem area recess (the hollow left after snapping the stem off) of the mushroom
  • some green onion
  • some steamed fresh broccoli, chopped fairly fine
  • some shredded chicken
  • some blue cheese dressing brought to room temp or a little cooler
    It is though OK to use cold, but it cools the meal if you do.

Directions:

Trim the end of the stem very slightly, then gently pop the remainder stem off. Lay the mushroom's underside facing up on a shallow baking tray or pan. Slice the stem up and return it to the center of the mushroom. Add some olive oil and the 3 Tbsp. of water to the pan.

Put Worcestershire sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, and Mrs. Dash in the hollow of the stem, stir lightly, making it spread into the gills of the mushroom. Add some water, just a little.

Slice up the green onion, shred the chicken, and steam the broccoli to al dente ( I microwaved it for about 1 minute 45 seconds) and put on top of the sauce in the mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil to taste.

Cook until meat, broccoli, and edge of mushroom are lightly toasted.

I baked the mushroom caps at 300 degrees F in my toaster oven, for one cooking cycle (it auto-shuts down after cooking at the chosen temperature for about 20-40 minutes, I've never actually clocked it). Then I sent the mushrooms through a second cooking cycle for about half the cycle. The second one seems shorter, I think because by then the oven is heated up. You will need to watch for doneness if cooked in a conventional oven.

When finished cooking, as you are about to serve the meal, add about a tsp. of blue cheese dressing to each mushroom.

I served it with a plain (small amount of salt free butter and pepper) baked potato, and had orange-pineapple angel food cake for desert. A really yummy dinner!

Cooking time is for mountain time, sea level will be shorter.

Servings: 1 mushroom per person
Prep Time: about 30-45 min for 2 med mushrooms Minutes
Cooking Time: about 30-45 min for 2 med mushrooms Minutes

By Cornelia from OR

I love the interestingness (I know I just made a new word) of this recipe. What I especially love is how easy it would be to serve one person. I most certainly will try it out some time, thank you.