Substitutes for Allspice

Category Substitutions
Allspice is a cured, unripe berry from a tropical evergreen tree, the Pimenta dioica. Its aroma when ground is reminiscent of clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg, although it has its own unique flavor. This is a guide about substitutes for allspice.

I am forever thinking I have something when I don't! It's easy to mix up this substitution for ground allspice.

• nutmeg
  • cinnamon
  • cloves

Directions:

• Mix equal amounts of each, store in a container, spice jar, etc.
  • Comment Was this helpful? 8

Top Comment

This is a good substitute for allspice when you don't have it but allspice is it's own spice. From Wikipedia: "Allspice is the dried fruit of the P. dioica plant. The fruit are picked when green and unripe and are traditionally dried in the sun. When dry, they are brown and resemble large brown peppercorns. The whole fruit have a longer shelf life than the powdered product and produce a more aromatic product when freshly ground before use."

I ran out of allspice, what to do now? Well, I Googled it and found out! Aren't computers great? How did we live without them? I didn't have an old bottle to read the ingredients and it is simple!

To make 1 teaspoon of allspice, simply mix the following:

• 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    That's it!

Editor's Note: Although this blend tastes similar to allspice, it is not exactly the same. Allspice grows in the Caribbean and looks similar to peppercorns. Here is a ThriftyFun article about this unusual spice.

Top Comment

Well, now you know, Jackie. Allspice is given it's name due to the fact it tastes like a combination of other spices. I don't know that the nutmeg helped bring the concoction closer to an allspice taste, though.

I prefer allspice over cinnamon in lots of dishes, candied yams, for one. It is a potent spice, usually one quarter teaspoon or less is enough for the average dish.