Substitution for Allspice

I ran out of allspice, what to do now? Well, I Googled it and found out! Aren't computers great? How did we live without them? I didn't have an old bottle to read the ingredients and it is simple!

To make 1 teaspoon of allspice, simply mix the following:

• 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
That's it!

Editor's Note: Although this blend tastes similar to allspice, it is not exactly the same. Allspice grows in the Caribbean and looks similar to peppercorns. Here is a ThriftyFun article about this unusual spice.

Top Comment

Well, now you know, Jackie. Allspice is given it's name due to the fact it tastes like a combination of other spices. I don't know that the nutmeg helped bring the concoction closer to an allspice taste, though.

I prefer allspice over cinnamon in lots of dishes, candied yams, for one. It is a potent spice, usually one quarter teaspoon or less is enough for the average dish.