Substituting Condensed Milk for Sugar and Milk in a Recipe

How much sweetened condensed milk should I use for 1/3 cup sugar and 2-3/4 cups milk?

You cannot substitute. Sweetened condensed milk is milk that has been cooked down and has a lot of sugar added.

This question has been asked on this site in the past and it seems there are differences of opinion as to whether this can be done.
Check out the answers:

www.thriftyfun.com/Substituting-Condensed-Milk-for-Whole...

www.thriftyfun.com/Substituting-Condensed-Milk-for-Milk...

I believe that it is generally recommended to use evaporated milk as a substitute instead of condensed milk but maybe you only have condensed?

I know it will work with some recipes but not sure what you are making so read some of the answers and decide for yourself.

I think the thing you want to do is make your own condensed milk at home v trying to just substitute.

Condensed milk has specific chemical and density specifications that cannot be replicated from just mixing them together. Plus, if you don't have dairy or sugar allergies or issues, why not just use the real thing?

Here's a recipe
pinchandswirl.com/.../

basically you put the sugar and milk and some salt together and let it simmer till it reduces by over 50%

I found on joyofbaking.com the ratios to use it. Since condensed milk has water removed, it must be replaced to use in the place of whole milk not forgetting the sweetness remember to decrease amount of sugar in recipe too unless you want very sweet.

And to answer why not just use regular milk instead question :. It is unfortunate but true that there are a lot of people in shoestring budgets or making use of food pantries to have enough food or help make it stretch. Being no shame in recieving help because truthfully in America there is enough food that no one should go hungry but they do. So we people have to become VERY resourceful and make use if the ingredients provided because pantry n fridge staples are missing or lacking thus the requirement of noncommon substitutions that will work knowing not for every recipe or preperation. We are required to think outside the box.

I know the question was old but current to me. Hope this helps somebody else.

Hope

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJanuary 11, 2019
🍂
🎄