Sweet and Sour Refrigerator Pickles
It is so simple to make your first pickles. With an abundance of cucumbers in my garden, I whipped up some delicious pickles for us to enjoy during the fall!
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 10 min.
Total Time: 25 min.
Yield: mine made 3 1/2 pint jars
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup coarse salt
- 6 cucumbers, sliced
- In a large pan, combine onion, mustard seed, turmeric and celery seed.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Pour the boiling mixture into the pan with the onion mixture.
- Add the cucumber slices.
- Pack into sterile jars.
- Refrigerate for 2 weeks before eating (but I cheat and sneak out one or two within a few days). ;-)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!