TravelTravel and Recreation

Taking Plants from the US into Mexico

Alright, this summer my family is going to Mexico, and we always go by car (in a truck). I'm going to be going by car from Texas to Mexico, and I want to take my Norfolk pine tree with me. But I don't know how to take it with me and make sure it's safe on the way, because the trip to Mexico from Texas is a day long. It's pretty small because I got it around 4 to 5 months ago from Walmart as a gift.

Not all plants and trees are allowed to be brought into Mexico. I would check first before it gets confiscated.

Your plant may be safe to travel in a truck but it may be be allowed and you may have to leave it before you can enter Mexico.

• Mexico has certain requirements concerning taking plants from the US and many types are not allowed.
  • Here is one comment/rule from there web site:
  • Prohibited Imports
  • Prohibited imports are those at risk of introducing a pest or disease into Mexico and under no circumstances can be imported.
  • Ad

• Soil (dirt) is not allowed.
  • I'm not sure how you could take your plant without soil but I guess you could find a way - if your plant is allowed.
  • I would be very careful about having something in a vehicle if you find out it is not allowed.
  • You should contact an US agriculture agency about what is legal and how to transport it.

I found this website helpful, www.bajabound.com/.../agriculture.php

It states, Regulated imports may be brought into Mexico according to their origin and manufacturing process and they have fulfilled the importation requirements.

I suggest contacting www.gob.mx/senasica