Tasty Protein Mash Recipe

Category Main Dishes
If you are trying to cut back on potatoes you might want to try this tasty pinto bean alternative. This is a guide about making a tasty protein mash.

I need to avoid potatoes due to my diabetes and my blood-type diet. Potatoes are not recommended for me. So I've been searching for an alternative. I thought about this the other day when craving some comfort food. I didn't have a lot of food in but I did have some cans of Pinto beans. Here's how I made this tasty mash:

I drained the water from the tin of Pinto beans and washed them. Then I popped the whole tinful in a microwave-safe deep dish and cooked on high for 3 minutes. I took them out and mashed them with a knob of butter, some pink salt and some smoked paprika. Then back into the microwave for a further minute. They were so tasty and filling. They hit the spot!

I have been wondering how else I could make other variations. I thought I could add some fried onions to the mash. One idea I had was to mix in some mozzarella cheese (any cheese in fact would suit) for the last minute of cooking. Perhaps experiment with different herbs and/or spices. Suggestions would be welcomed!

Just a wee word of warning: Beans are very good for your heart and full of protein too, but they do make you a little gassy! :D

Source: I thought of this myself.

Top Comment

I did a quick check at the USDA Food Database. It looks like beans have even more carbs than potatoes but they also have more protein and fiber and they supply a ton of calcium.

I always increase my bean and green veggie intake when I'm trying to lose weight.

I watch my carbs as well. Don't beans have the same number of carbs as potatoes?

This is not a tip for you while you are watching your carbs Judy. These type of beans (that can be mashed like this) are high in carbs. Great for some but not for you! Mashed cauliflower would suit you better!