Tiny Black Bugs That Love Light and Water

This summer, the entire house is dealing with these teeny little black hard-shelled bugs. They are about the size of a pencil-point, slightly oval, with wings that protrude out from under the back end of their shells. They crawl more than they fly, but they can fly, and spend most of their energy getting close to lamps, windows, or any source of water. (If you leave even a drop of water in the bottom of a glass in the bathroom, you're sure to find one or two of these little critters in there when you return.)

They don't seem terribly interested in food or in the kitchen areas (other than the windowsills and the sink) so I don't think they're flour weevils; they don't bite (that I know of) and they're too small to be bedbugs; and they're too slow-moving and hard-shelled to be silverfish. (To kill them, you have to smush them. Like, hard.)

They die fairly quickly, and never get any bigger than the size of a pin-head. They're more an annoyance than anything, but I sure would like to know what they are.

We're in a Midwest city, and we've had lots of rain this year, with daytime temps about 80 on average. Not sure if that's relevant.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Does it look like any of these? (midge)

https://www.wha  bug.com/?s=midge

These are called midgies or no-see-ums. Red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (not white) in a glass bowl, put about 6/8 pennies in the bowl.

They will drown.

Bugs - so many different kind. Every one a nuisance but I usually contact my county extension agent if I can't get rid of a bug like this. They are usually very knowledgeable about the bugs in their area and may be able to tell you immediately what they are and how to get rid of them. Just Google County Extension Agent with your zip and they should be able to help you.

I just usually scatter some Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) and it gets rid of bugs right away.

https://richsoi  aceous-earth.jsp

A few years back we had an epidemic of these bugs. I finally had to buy an electric bug light to get rid of them here. I tried an electric racket for killing flies and other insects.

This killed the bugs when they were hit by the racket. Afterwards, I bought a small table top electric bug zapper. I moved this around the house. Within a few days I had zapped the bugs and rid my home of these insects.

i have the same things come after a long leak upstairs was repaired last year ,i cant get rid of them ,always on window sills ,lights ,even kitchen cupboards now ,i cant tell were there coming from

I live in the Southeast region and this summer I am beginning to see tiny black bugs on my window sill and white curtains also. I saw just one crawl very slowly. They don't appear in bunches. I have not been able to identify them either. I used ant spray, then cleaned them up with soapy water.