Tiny Flying Insects in the House

I have very tiny (maybe a mm big), round moth like bugs crawling on my walls and carpet. I just saw one fly the other day. They are black and white stripped with six legs and antennas. When squished they have a powdery dust on their wings. Any idea what they are? They don't bite; they're just a nuisance.

By Jess from Canton, OH

Best Answer

I'm not sure what kind of bugs those are but I found the apple cider vinegar trick worked when we had a gnat infestation. Maybe that would work for you. Place a cup of apple cider vinegar near where the bugs are (a few drops of soap in the vinegar helps). Dump out the collections of dead bugs daily. I was shocked at how many we collected. We also moved the bananas into the refrigerator until the infestation stopped.

Do you just pour that stuff in a cup, then sit it next to where your sleeping and the bugs go inside the cup overnight?

I have tiny white flying bugs in my house. You can't see them they sit on my feet and hands while trying to sleep when I move they fly very tiny cant catch what I do not see in carpet also.

Help

I am guessing they are moth flies, google them and see a pic. We had them last year for the first time ever.

Have you tried the bleach and then plugging or covering the drains so they can't come out?

I just moved into an apartment and can't seem to get comfortable because of these annoying flies. Can anyone identify what type of insect this is so I can research where they may come from and how to get rid of them. They show up out of nowhere. I've killed about 10 in less than 24 hours. They are driving me crazy.

Answers

Check for leaks and food crumbs. Thats what they are attracted to.

Looks like you have the same issue we do sometimes, which is drain flies...see the link to make sure yours match the pix:

urban-ipm.blogspot.com/.../those-arent-tiny-moths-you-have-drain...

We usually just pour a pot of boiling water down whatever drain they come from and that gets rid of the problem.

I may be lucky, but it has only taken 2 treatments at the most (usually it is one and done.)

Take a big soup pot of boiling water and flush (BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T GET BURNED WITH BACK WASH FROM THE PAN...it has happened it is is big ouchies).

Good luck!

generally they are attracted to rot or moisture. Make sure especially in the bathroom and kitchen that your fixtures and cabinets do not have rotting wood or that there isn't a faucet leak at the bottom of the sink or inside the cabinet.

if that's all fine then they will breed in the drains. You can create a drain bomb with a cup of baking soda, a cup of vinegar, and chase it all down with boiling water.

In generall clean every surface with 1/2 bleach 1/2 water solution (or vinegar) and also all the faucets. Make sure there's no trash or dirt anywhere.

also make sure the windows aren't open and that there's no standing water outside the proeprty with bugs getting in.

if you clean everything super well you should see a diminution

Since you have just moved into your apartment you can try some of the suggestions but most likely these flies were already there when you moved in. If you continue to have problems you should contact your apartment manager so they can send a maintenance person to take care of the problem.

• Most of the time these flies live and reproduce in the drains in your bathroom and kitchen so those are the places you need to concentrate on first.
  • The method of using baking soda in your drains followed by white vinegar and then flushed with very hot water is the best method to clean out your drains. This is a good thing to do around the first of every month and you will always have clean smelling sanitary drains.
  • Ad

• The amount is not important but it is generally always a good idea to start with a smaller amount of baking soda - 3-4 tablespoons - and add about 2 cups vinegar and then hot water.
  • You will have to do everything slowly as the baking soda/vinegar will bubble up so wait a few minutes before - very carefully - pouring hot water in the drain and try not to splash hot water in the sink as it could burn if splashed on a person.
  • If after you have done this a couple of times you still see new flies then you need to check under the cabinet for leaks and if you find water or dampness then you need to contact the apartment manager as this is something they need to take care of.
  • You can read more about this problem so you will know you are taking the right steps.
  • www.fliesonly.com/.../