Tips for Frugal Moms

Parenting can be expensive and the smart mother learns where to cut corners. This is a guide about tips for frugal moms.

As a woman and a wife with two kids (both under the age of 6), I've taught myself to be frugal. I spend only what is needed and reuse what I have.

I am the type of women who worked hard. I started from the bottom of the working chain and made it to the top. My Frugal LifeI have more than 12 years management experience. I had so much control over my financial situation, then one day it all went away.

I used to be a mom who would buy fashionable clothes for her kids weekly. I would buy fast food and things that I already had, but with an extra design or a different color. Now that I don't have much, I realize all the stuff I had was so usable.

For example, some of clothes my son still fits in. If he doesn't, I cut them into shorts for the summer. My daughter is petite and I cut her pants into shorts as well. We use clothes with different designs and cut them out for crafts like coasters or place mats for the table.

We use the ones that are cotton for rags around the kitchen. Sew up old blankets and make them into fun floor pillows for the kids. We recently used a pair of shoes and put little plants in them. We also use old cans as lanterns for outside after we decorate them.

In conclusion, being frugal is a smart way to be. We sometimes don't realize how much money is being spent for unnecessary things. A simple day to the park with a watermelon, chips, sandwiches, and a gallon of water and kool-aid will be fun even to us adults.

Thank you,

By rocknrollmom from Los Angeles, CA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Since my son was born the biggest money saver for me has been a group of moms I swap with. We all have children within a year or two of each other so we just rotate the items the kids outgrow. This goes for everything from car seats, to clothes, to toys, changing pads, swings, and utensils. It has been a wonderful savings for all of us with the added bonus that no one has to store all of the stuff until their next one comes along. We just send it back around in the rotation as needed!

By Deanna