Tips for When Your Arm is in a Sling

This guide contains tips for when your arm is in a sling. Having your arm in a sling can make it hard to get dressed, sleep at night, or even just be comfortable throughout the day. Here are a few tips that may help make life a little easier.

After having surgery on my shoulder for a torn Rotator Cuff two weeks ago, I've learned a few useful things that might help you one day.

The best idea actually came from my husband! Faced with the need to help me get into and out of slacks and a button-down shirt every day for six weeks, he suggested wearing those strapless, elastic top sundresses.

They're perfect! I can pull one up or down without removing the sling and they're so much more comfortable. Since the sun dresses aren't something I'll wear for long, I bought several from a local thrift store and saved money.

Another tip is to line the sleeve of the sling with a soft cloth. It keeps the sling from irritating your skin. The shoulder strap can be bulky and uncomfortable, so whenever I'm sitting still or sleeping in a recliner, I unhook the strap which is quite a relief.

Last of all, when it feels like you will be in that horrible contraption forever, remind yourself that each day is one day closer to being well. This too shall pass.

Your so lucky that you just had a sling. I broke my hand and wrist and had to have a full heavy plaster cast. I live up on the Arctic Circle so wearing strapless and sleeveless anything is impossible. I wrapped my arm and hand in plastic bags and attached them with rubber bands when I showered. When going outside I used plastic bags and a big men's wool sock when going outside and used a pair of pliers to zip up my jeans and jacket. It was only six weeks but it felts like months but we survive.

Wow, you sure had it worse than I do! Are you healed up and out of your cast now?

I've started physical therapy, so I'm getting there. Thanks for your reply.