Toilet Keeps Clogging

Category Plumbing
Having a toilet that is constantly getting clogged is very frustrating. This is a guide about when toilet keeps clogging.

I live in a townhouse that is approx. 6 years old. My toilets clog constantly. I use low-budget thin toilet paper because the thicker paper is even worse. I am tired of plunging my toilets every other day. Help!

Janice from Mechanicsburg, PA

Answers

By Harry (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I would say there is something someone flushed down the toilet and is the cause of the clog. You could rent or buy a snake from a big box store to run through the toilet. The other suggestion is to take up the toilet look for obstructions in the toilet or the sewer pipe. Not a difficult job.

By Leslie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

An old trick from my Mom. Use a squirt of dish detergent or shampoo (cheap of course) and reflush. It seems to lubricate the bowl. You may still need to plunge, but it's worth a try.

By Mary (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Ours did the same thing. My husband discovered that the wax ring, which the toilet sits on, was off center, so the "hole" wasn't as big as it should be.

He replaced that and we've had no trouble since.

Best Answer

I have the same problem at my house. Are there large trees plants around your town homes? My plumber said it's roots that grow into the sewer pipes (especially during drought times) looking for water. I have to have my drain snaked at least twice a year. I had to switch to the cheap flimsy TP also, or I plunge weekly.

What do you do for a toilet that keeps clogging?

Lee from Portland, OR

Answers:

Toilet Keeps Clogging

We had that problem, too, and my husband finally had to buy one of those snakes that the plumber uses. It was still cheaper than calling a plumber. (09/12/2008)

By Wendy

Toilet Keeps Clogging

I figured out that the main reason mine was clogging was because of the use of triple thick paper & especially while one of us had the flu.
(09/15/2008)

By melody_yesterday

Toilet Keeps Clogging

Could it be that someone is eating a lot of fat and not much fiber? Or a child that is using far too much TP? If you can get to Canada to get it, I would switch out that toilet for an old style one that is no longer per code, that uses more water to flush. New toilets are made not to clog so easy either, but they still have low water volume per flush. Maybe there's a Barbie doll down there! (09/15/2008)

By Kim Churchman