PlumbingHome

Toilet Won't Flush After Mixing Vinegar and Clorox Tablet in Tank

I poured vinegar in the tank of my toilet on top of the blue Clorox tablet. Now the tank won't flush even after I cleaned the gook it made in the tank. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Im wondering if the Clorox and the vinegar ate away at some of the rubber parts in the toilet. Take some pictures and bring them to the hardware store.

Vinegar and bleach are toxic. It probably ate away at your toilet pieces. You should drain it and look at the individual pieces.

so this is actually pretty dangerous and I am wondering how you did not poison yourself with chlorine gas poisoning - basically you created the WW1 chemical killer in your own bathroom! I almost died doing this once - or at least it felt like it!

more pertinent to your question, it sounds like the toxic mixture damaged the chain connecting the plug to the handle. I cannot imagine anything else, save some serious buildup in the tank hole, to be causing this. If you are sure that the chain is working properly then yes you probably have to replace the plug or even the tube connecting the tank to the toilet