Tomato Cucumber Salad

I started making this several years ago. It was winter time, so there was not a big variety of fresh veggies for a salad, but I did have cucumbers and cherry tomatoes, and with a young child, I always had string cheese. I've made this several times for church covered-dish luncheons, and it is always all gone.

• 1 1/2 to 2 containers of cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 5 or 6 string cheese
  • Italian dressing
  • dried basil and oregano (optional)

Directions:

Slice each tomato into 3 or 4 slices (they could be just cut in half; I like the look of the little slices). Put them in a large bowl. Peel the cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and cut in small bite size pieces. Add to tomatoes. Slice the string cheese into small rounds and add to the bowl. Sprinkle with a little basil and oregano (if using). Add Italian dressing to coat and mix well. Salad can be eaten immediately, but is better after keeping in the refrigerator overnight.

Note: You could use a block of mozzarella cut in small bites, if you have it on hand, or use the little balls of fresh mozzarella. I'm just more likely to have string cheese on hand. I also want to try this with feta and Greek dressing, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. The amounts of all ingredients can be easily reduced as well; I just tend to make a big batch of it. It keeps well, and usually goes pretty quickly.

Servings: varies
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 0

By Susan from SC

This sounds delicious just as it is, and for meals shared with others, I'd make it just this way, however, if I were eating it all by myself, I'd love to add either chopped vidalia or green onion to it.

Thank you for sharing a really great salad recipe.
Pookarina