Tomato Soup from Canned Tomatoes
A large can of tomatoes makes the base for an easy pot of homemade tomato soup. Using a blender after the vegetables have been cooked down makes a smooth and creamy finished product.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
If you are missing the flavors of summer, make this easy soup. All you need is a large #10 can of tomatoes and some basic veggies. If you can't find these large cans, use 5 - 6 regular sized cans.
- 1 #10 can (6 lb. 9 oz.) tomatoes
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter (1 cube)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper (fresh herbs, optional)
- Place fresh vegetables and butter in a stockpot or French oven.
- Heat together until vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes or so.
- Add can of tomatoes and juice, plus salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered, remove from heat. Blend in batches and add back to the soup pot. This is a good time to add any fresh herbs, such as basil.
- Reheat and adjust seasonings to taste. It's delicious served with a grilled cheese sandwich to dip in the soup.