Training a Dog Not to Jump on People

I have a Cocker Spaniel and he is 5 years old. I can't get him to stop jumping on people when they come in my house. How can I train him to stay down?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Ignore her when gets excited. Reward her when she behaves properly.

Here is a method from AWLA.org:

"Wait 30 seconds to 1 minute, then walk back in to calmly greet your dog. The moment your dog jumps, walk away again and close the door. Keep doing this until your dog no longer jumps, at which point you can reward him by not leaving and petting him. Try less subdued greeting with your dog and use the same approach."

Read the full article:

https://www.awl  ogs-not-to-jump/

My son was having problems like this and while at a dog park one day, an older gentleman told him how to "cure" this. He said that a soon as your dog starts to jump, walk towards him and bend down and gently (well, a little harder) blow in his face.
I know it sounds kinda silly but, my son tried this and it really worked - for him anyway. It seems that most animals do not like anyone blowing in their face. It was more difficult making him stop jumping on children but he was successful.
Try it - nothing to lose.

Most definitely: Blowing in the face sounds like it's worth a try.

One thing I do when my dogs want to jump is to put me knee up as they start to come up at the same time I sharply say "NO!" or "DOWN!". No dog likes to get a knee in the chest. Lots of times they will just simply put their feet right back down on the ground. It's sometimes hard for them to remember when their 1st impulse is to enthusiastically greet a person. Just like children, they need reminding until it is no longer a habit.