TransplantingGardening

Transplanting Hydrangeas in Late Spring

We need to transplant 2 hydrangea bushes as they have grown so large and high they covered up our window boxes and other plantings last summer. We couldn't get to them until now and they do have leaves on them. I wanted to see if it needs anything special to get them to grow in their new home where they can grow as high or wide as they like? Thanks so much! We plan to do this June 1 and are in southeastern Connecticut.

I so envy anyone that has luck with these gorgeous plants! I know they are super delicate, need just the right conditions, and best moved or planted when they are dormant. Help understanding that all is best explained in this link...

homeguides.sfgate.com/can-move-hydrangeas-46360.html

I am attaching a link to a zone map to help you figure out when your best bet is for this process.

The DIY network gives the best directions for how to make the process a success once you find your best time!

Sadly, you would think I would have great luck with these since I have read up on them just about every spring since I moved into the house. I have tried and tried....but in my case, it is about terrible soil and bad drainage in my yard...and I can't get them to grow. Two years ago, I finally gave up, planted some Ewe trees...even those have taken a long time to settle.

Good luck with your venture!! Enjoy those beautiful blooms!!

I would wait until the fall to transplant.