Tyre Pudding

A "handed down" English main dish pudding recipe from my great grandmother Lydia Butcher Seager. I had my first bite of the pudding when I was about eight years old. I was hesitant because it didn't look very appetizing. But I was wrong! It was delicious. The salt pork crust is the secret to the recipe's great flavor.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 6 servings

1. Mix flour and ground salt pork with enough water to make a pie crust. Roll out on floured surface.
  2. Place dough onto large square of cheese cloth. Fill crust with layers of meat, salt, pepper, and dabs of margarine or butter in the middle of crust. Pull sides of crust up over meat layer and pinch dough together.
  3. Advertisement

4. Wrap cheese cloth around "pudding" and tie with a string tightly but leave some of the cloth loose for expansion during cooking time.
  5. Place pudding on rack in large pot. Cover with water. Boil for 3 hours in boiling water, checking water level frequently to prevent burning.
  6. After cooking, cut out a small, round hole in top and pour in a cup of broth made from the water that the pudding was cooked in.

Anonymous

I have heard of these types of puddings but will probably never try to make this. Did it turn out good?

Yes. We make it every year for New Year's Day as a family tradition.

The only time consuming part is cutting up the meat unless you buy beef that is already cut up into small pieces.

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesJanuary 18, 2020
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-02-04 08:05:47 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️

Main DishesRecipes