Making Tyre Pudding
English pudding recipes are often savory rather than sweet. This version uses salt pork along with minced meat and flour to create a thick and hearty main dish.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
January 18, 2020
A "handed down" English main dish pudding recipe from my great grandmother Lydia Butcher Seager. I had my first bite of the pudding when I was about eight years old. I was hesitant because it didn't look very appetizing. But I was wrong! It was delicious. The salt pork crust is the secret to the recipe's great flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb ground salt pork
- 4 cups flour
- 2 lb finely cut beef, pork or chicken
- 1 pkg. cheese cloth
- pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Mix flour and ground salt pork with enough water to make a pie crust. Roll out on floured surface.
- Place dough onto large square of cheese cloth. Fill crust with layers of meat, salt, pepper, and dabs of margarine or butter in the middle of crust. Pull sides of crust up over meat layer and pinch dough together.
- Wrap cheese cloth around "pudding" and tie with a string tightly but leave some of the cloth loose for expansion during cooking time.
- Place pudding on rack in large pot. Cover with water. Boil for 3 hours in boiling water, checking water level frequently to prevent burning.
- After cooking, cut out a small, round hole in top and pour in a cup of broth made from the water that the pudding was cooked in.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.