Making Tyre Pudding

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 221 Posts

old photo of grandmother's familyA "handed down" English main dish pudding recipe from my great grandmother Lydia Butcher Seager. I had my first bite of the pudding when I was about eight years old. I was hesitant because it didn't look very appetizing. But I was wrong! It was delicious. The salt pork crust is the secret to the recipe's great flavor.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 6 servings

bowl of Tyre Pudding & family picture

• 1 lb ground salt pork
  • 4 cups flour
  • water
  • 2 lb finely cut beef, pork or chicken
  • 1 pkg. cheese cloth
  • pepper and salt
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
ingredients

1. Mix flour and ground salt pork with enough water to make a pie crust. Roll out on floured surface.
  2. Tyre Pudding

3. Place dough onto large square of cheese cloth. Fill crust with layers of meat, salt, pepper, and dabs of margarine or butter in the middle of crust. Pull sides of crust up over meat layer and pinch dough together.
  4. cheese cloth & rolling pin

5. Wrap cheese cloth around "pudding" and tie with a string tightly but leave some of the cloth loose for expansion during cooking time.
  6. Pudding in cheese cloth

7. Place pudding on rack in large pot. Cover with water. Boil for 3 hours in boiling water, checking water level frequently to prevent burning.
  8. pan with rack to cook Pudding

9. After cooking, cut out a small, round hole in top and pour in a cup of broth made from the water that the pudding was cooked in.

Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalApril 22, 2020
🌻
👔
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Tyre-Pudding.html