Sealing Plastic Bags With Recycled Plastic Bottle Tops

Category Storage
Use the top portion of a plastic bottle, including the cap to easily seal plastic food storage bags. This is a page about sealing plastic bags with recycled plastic bottle tops.

I don't always have spare containers or chip-clips handy (or have them at all) so I make my own airtight enclosures for my goodies using empty plastic drink bottles. My demo photos are coffee beans in a regular plastic bag, the other is a thicker plastic bag from chocolate chips. This method works with any bag as long as you don't bunch it up so the bottle-cap-screwing-action can still happen. Enjoy!

Total Time: 3 minutes

• 1 empty plastic bottle
  • 1 serrated knife
  • 1 bag of goodies

1. Carefully cut the top off of your empty plastic bottle.
  2. Advertisement

3. Unscrew the cap and push the top of the bag holding your goodies up through the spout of the bottle.
  4. Pull the bag through as far as it will go to push out all the air. The goodies will rise to the lip of the bottle top. Roll down plastic bag over the lip of the bottle. Screw on the bottle cap.
  5. Voila! Airtight!

Videos

Make your own airtight enclosures for goodies using empty plastic drink bottles. This method works with any bag as long as you don't bunch it up so the bottle-cap-screwing-action can still happen.

Learn how, in this short video.

Sometimes I am all out of jars and containers to store my recipes or my ingredients. Since recycling is important to me, I used plastic bottles as cap for my open ingredients in their cellophane pack.

First cut the plastic bottle from the tip of the mouth, about 1 1/2 inches.

Heat the cut edge on a flat iron to give it a smooth edge.

Insert the bottle top in the open cellophane to make a closed cap, and you're done! There's no need for jars or containers anymore.

Food and Recipes StorageJanuary 31, 2016
🎃