Use Deodorant To Deter Nesting Birds

We know that most birds are very sensitive to smell and odors, remember the old "canary in the coal mines" story? I have found that if you put up a "Stick-Up" deodorant disk in the corners of your patio, birds will attempt to visit the corner but they will quickly fly away. I replace them once each spring. Works especially well with nesting barn swallows!

Why do you wish to drive away barn swallows? Each of them gobbles up hundreds of flies and other insects every day which pests would be irritating you every summer day.

Another reason to keep the swallows around is just the simple pleasurable viewing of how well they fly. Other birds are never as graceful as swallows but maybe you never watched them long enough to appreciate their expertise?

I don't care where they fly. I do care that they nest in my eves and poop daily on my patio furniture making my home their home. I live next to a canyon and have a hillside of trees and shrubs that is undisturbed. I WANT THEM TO LET ME HAVE MY HOME. They can have theirs elsewhere.

How can I make bird houses out of plastic bottles