Use Diapers as Filler in Potted Plants

Category Container
This is a guide about using diapers as a filler in potted plants. A disposable diaper at the bottom of a pot can help hold in dirt and moisture.

Before planting your hanging baskets, window boxes, or tomato plants go and buy cheap pack of diapers, open one up, and place in the bottom of the container.

I use two, side by side, in hanging baskets. Put them plastic side down. This will absorb the water that is placed in the basket or containers and keep the soil moist ensuring that the roots are always moist

By carole from Hampton, VA

Top Comment

There is a thing called vermiculite that I mix with soils, that hold water really well, but the diaper is a good idea, too. I think I'll use both for plants that don't like to b dry.

cmt

Using (new) disposable diapers in bottom of flower pots will help hold in dirt and moisture. Cut to fit into pot leaving some coming up the sides. Place dirt on top and place in the plant of your choice.

Even the disposable training pants work great. These I have left complete, but placed a coffee filter in bottom of pot first, then the training pants and added dirt and put a plant in. The training pants sides will keep moisture up in the sides of the flower pot, which is really good for clay pots!

This is great for those diapers or training pants that are left over when your baby outgrows them and you can't find anyone to give them to.

By Kat

Answers:

Diapers for Potted Plants

I read about this on a gardening site. The guy suggested opening up the diaper and using the inside instead of water holding granules, which are pretty expensive. The article was a little incomplete as to how to use the diaper, but now I have a better idea. Thanks! (05/20/2005)

By Meari