Use Distilled Water For Houseplants

Water your houseplants with distilled water. There will be no salt residue on the pots or the plant. Better for the plant and it is cheap.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

It wouldn't be cheap for me to water all my houseplants with distilled water. I do think some plants are more sensitive to 'salt' buildup than others. My African Violets get distilled water, and any other plant that will stay in the same pot and soil for a long time.

If you do choose to use tap water, it's best to draw the water at least a day before using it. This will allow the water to come to room temperature and all the chlorine to dissipate. Chlorine is added to water to kill micro organisms. A plant is a factory of organisms.