KitchenHome Improvement

Use Place Mats for Shelves in Fridge

I hate cleaning the shelves in the fridge. I've found that cloth place mats are generally the size of the shelves in the side by side fridges.

I've learned by placing the cloth place mats on the shelves, it makes cleaning the fridge so much easier. Just pull the cloth place mats out, toss them in the wash, dry them, and put them back on the shelves. Saves tons of paper towels and time.

By Tammy W. from Bishop, GA

Bad. This will obstruct the air flow in your fridge and some shelves will not get as cold as they should.

Anonymous

Probably meaning the glass shelves

Disagree with one post; think it's an excellent idea. Can't see how it would affect the air flow any more than the shelves themselves would. People line their fridge shelves all the time with different things. I was lining mine with cardboard but I like the place matts idea better so I'm going to the thrift stores for ones.

It would and does in my fridge, wire rack shelves. Larger electric bill.

I did this years ago when I had a couch reupholstered. I had, then, rubbermaid shelf liners in my fridge because I got REAL tired of sweating items going back in on glass shelves. This became unworkable as things stuck to it. So I used the leftover couch fabric, it's very sturdy, and placed it over the liners to keep it in place. It's fabulous. I remove it all & clean shelves only when I feel like. Better than placemats, I think, as it can be cut to exact size needed. Hope this helps someone else think of nifty solutions. And I have never had a cooling problem. The shelves are glass, after all, not wire, so air flow hasn't been an issue.

I think the whole problem can be solved (liners vs. none): For glass shelves, use mats or the fabric mentioned above. For wire shelves, nothing is needed. Cay from FL

I think this might help both the airflow problem and still do what was originally intended.

Get some thrift store or Dollar Tree plastic place mats. You can put some hole-puncher holes around the edges as far in as it will let you, and perhaps some in the middle. Ice picks, nails or such can work as you wouldn't need that many. And plastic can be rinsed off in the sink without needing to be laundered.

I think it's a great idea Tammy. What better idea is there to save us work?
PBP

I have done this in the past, but the placemats didn't fit as well as I liked. Shopping, I found shelf liner rolls that you can cut to fit and they are designed to be thrown in the wash.

Anonymous

I like the idea I don't see how it would be bad, my shelves are solid glass any way.

I think I wouldn't like how placemats (or anything else covering the shelf) would block so much light! My fridge has only one bulb, on the back wall at the top, and I think this is typical. I've often wished there was better lighting in my fridge!

After years of dealing with this problem I finally found the solution. I use clear glass shelf lining. It's clear to allow light to pass threw it, it's easy to see when it needs to be cleaned. I also use it on my wire shelves in certain areas I need it. It allows the glass to stay at the coldness it should be. Any fabric used inhibits the refrigerator from functioning properly as the fabric insulates the glass against getting cold and does interrupt the air flow.

Glass shelf lining is clear to allow light to pass threw and it is ribbed to allow the air to keep the shelf cold. Also it does not absorb odors or germs like fabric does and does not promote air born contaminates from different foods in the refrigerators.

If using fabric, stop! The contamination the fabric absorbs can make you sick. It is unhealthy!

I use the hand towels for the pull out shelves, because my frig is next to a door, which does not allow the frig door to fold back completely. And keeping the onions is a plastic sack, keeps the shells from going everywhere!

Anonymous

I have difficulty getting around. But wanted a way to keep my fridge clean. I got plastic trays from the Dollar Store and put them in the fridge. They catch drips, etc. the shelves stay clean and when needed I put them in the dishwasher.