Use a Pipe for Planting Seeds

Category Seeds
Rather than bending over to plant seeds in a long garden row, consider a pipe planter. Two versions are offered on this page with the new and improved one using a length of PVC pipe and a funnel.

This is a new version of a pipe for planting seed in the garden. The old version of my idea was posted last year on May 3rd.

Due to the cool weather and recent rains, we were late planting our garden. We finally got it planted and I wanted to share this idea ASAP as it's garden planting time!

When we were loading the truck with planting stuff, I saw a seed planter in the truck bed. I was thrilled and asked my husband if he found that at Ace Hardware. I thought he had actually purchased it.

When I picked it up and saw the duct tape, I could tell he had rigged this up himself. He found the funnel and the pipe stashed away in his shop and put it together to surprise me.

It worked perfectly for me to drop seed in the holes as he dug them. I didn't have to bend over at all. The funnel, which made putting the seed in the pipe much easier, was his idea. Two heads are better than one.

I had the seeds in my pocket so I could reach in and get them while holding the pipe with my other hand. I need to make a little apron for holding seed. I'll put that on my to do list.

• 1 ½ inch plastic pipe (PVC) cut to the desired length. (can be found at Home Depot)
  • plastic funnel that will fit into the pipe. (can be found at Ace Hardware)
  • duct tape (a household item)

1. Cut the funnel spout to make the hole larger for dropping seed. (Funnel spout is smaller at the tip)
  2. Advertisement

3. Place funnel into the pipe. You can use some glue if desired.
  4. Wrap with duct tape to hold the pipe and funnel together.
  5. For planting, place the end of the pipe in the hole and drop the seed into the funnel. Seeds land in the hole and you can move on to the next hole.

Yesterday, my husband and I planted string beans and butter beans in the garden. He dug the holes while I dropped the seeds.

After bending over 3-4 times, I knew my back was not going to take it. I had to think of another way to do it.

A long pipe pointing to the ground, for use in planting seeds.

In These Pages
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJune 22, 2020
🐛
😷
🎆
😎
🌻