Uses for Aluminum Foil

Category Cooking Tips
Aluminum foil has many uses including cooking and cleaning. This is a guide about uses for aluminum foil.

Please remember that aluminum foil uses the most energy of any synthetic product on the market. It is expensive and in most cases can be replaced by pure elbow grease.

Please stop polluting - those days are over.

By joanfry

Remove wrinkles from silk or clothes that can't take direct heat. Place foil on ironing board and lay garment over foil. With steam button down, pass iron 3 to 4 inches over fabric several times.

Source: Reynolds Wrap

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

Use heavy duty aluminum foil. Tack it to your existing blind and not only will it darken the room, but it will deflect the sun and cool the room down.

Have you ever noticed that aluminum foil is shinier on one side than on the other? When you use foil for cooking (for example, when you wrap potatoes for baking), make sure the least shiny side is facing out. If not, the shiny side will reflect the heat rather than absorb it, and your food will take longer to cook!

By Becki H. from Logansport, IN

Editor's Note: This seems to make sense but according to the Alcoa website there is no difference, that either side can be used except with the nonstick foil where the dull side has the nonstick coating. I guess testing is the only way to find out.

This is a guide about cleaning silver with aluminum foil. While this is a widely shared method for cleaning silver, it can cause permanent damage to your silver items. It is best to avoid this method, particularly when cleaning valuable items.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Using aluminum foil when ironing clothing can make the task more effeicent. The is a page about ironing with aluminum foil.

Having a white smooth surface stove top is a lot of extra work each time it's used. To make less work for yourself, place a piece of aluminum foil over the burner and under the pan.

Recycle that foil! Stash it near the stove so it's handy for next time!

After Christmas 2015, my local grocer put a lot of holiday items on sale. One was colored aluminum foil. The original price was around 4 dollars. They were marked down to 50 cents. I bought a couple rolls of the silver and a couple rolls of the gold.

I've had them for a year and still haven't figured a good way to use them. Even at 50 cents, they're no bargain unless I do use them. Anybody have any suggestions, other than the obvious gift wrapping?

Answers

The colored aluminum foil could be used for wrapping home made bake goods for special occasions such a birthdays, visits to an elderly person, church activities. A cardboard pizza round could be covered with the foil to hold a cake or pie to take to a function that you would not have to have your serving dish returned.

Cover old records or cds with it and use to repel birds and other animals from the garden.

Interesting - This I have never seen...

I give plant cuttings to anyone who shows an interest and have many times covered an ugly container with regular aluminum foil and just cautioned the recipient to remove the foil as they could drown their plant if kept too long.

I know you give away a lot of cuttings so maybe once in a while this would work.

Sweet!

You and I, and those like us, are nice people, aren't we. Like Johnny Appleseed, we spread goodness here, there, and about.

I wish I knew someone willing to part with some cuttings from a white Knockout rose. I bought a red for cutting stock and now I have about 15. I want to mass plant red, pink, and white. I don't care for the red alone. It's not that pretty.

14 dollars is too much to pay for a small rose bush. Knockout roses have no scent. There's nothing special about the bloom. Except for its constant bloom and disease resistance, it doesn't have much going for it. So, 14 dollars is too much.

Maybe I'll try Freecycle, again. I'm bound to luck up, sometime. And I always offer a plant or two in return.

My daughter has a small area of red and pink Knockout roses and they look nice - I am not going to mention the white - she would be on the road tomorrow - plant hunting.

I would say for gift wrapping or around flower pots or for baked goods to give away

Cover a picture frame, scrunching it all around. Then, once it is well-pressed in, burnish it with black or brown shoe polish to create a unique antique look. Or, using the same idea, scrunch it around old round Styrofoam/glass/plastic Christmas ornaments. Cover an old shoe or boot and insert a flowering plant inside and set out on a porch or deck. Tie a waterproof ribbon around it.

My, Anne,

I'm glad I bought to rolls of each.

Add it to boiling water to clean silver jewelry , fold it over a few times to add thickness and use it to sharpen scissors (just keep cutting the foil repeatedly ), use it for cookie sheets instead of Pam, use it to wrap items being placed in freezer and lastly you can cover furniture with it and modpodge.

The table is beautiful. If I hadn't seen a picture of it, I wouldn't have believed it.

I don't bake much. I do like the tip about the pots.

I would use them on paper plates for parties to make it look shinny and pretty

why not just use them for food? I always need foil for food.

They can obviously be used for many interesting and decorative purposes, but you would have to seal it with some sort of epoxy or matte acrylic product because it would fray easily.