Uses for Flat Sheets

Sheets are not just for bedding, they can be repurposed in a variety of clever ways. This is a guide about uses for flat sheets.

Sometimes when I buy sheet sets and don't use the flat sheet, I have found a very nifty use for them. Take your mattress off of your bed. Put the flat sheet on the box springs, and let it hang. Then put the mattress back on. Now you have a matching bed skirt, and it's cute, too.

by Penny from Saint Louis, MO

Instead of using colored paper or corrugated cardboard by the roll, my sister used flat bed sheets on the bulletin boards of her classroom. The sheets won't tear the way paper will, and can be changed seasonally if desired. I would think that fabric remnants would also be great to use. Staple guns works great to hold the sheets/fabric up, especially if you staple in the selvage.

Source: My sister who teaches first grade in Fresno, CA

By MooseMom from Elk Grove, CA

Old comforter worn and faded? Buy 2 flat sheets to match your decor and the size of your bed. Sew the sides and bottom to match the size of your comforter. Double stitch it and it won't come apart. Leave it long enough to tuck under mattress. I used two separate plain colors and just it turn over when I need a change. Easy to launder and it keeps the comforter clean. Using holiday themes can make a good gift for that special person.

By Elizabeth from Salinas, CA

How do you construct a bed cocoon out of a flat bed sheet?

By Sue H.