Uses for Non-working Freezers

Category Reusing
White freezer with the door open.
If you have an old freezer that isn't working, you may be able to keep it out of the landfill by repurposing it. This is a guide about uses for non-working freezers.

I have a huge chest freezer that no longer works. I hate to throw it away and was wondering if anyone might have some ideas on putting to use.

Witzend from Challis, ID

Before we go away on holiday, we always put our important documents inside a ziploc bag in the freezer - I've heard that if there is a fire then that is the safest place for them, as the metal is quite solid.

Perhaps you could use the whole thing as a giant fireproof box? Use it to store photos, family quilts, etc

You could make a rootcellar out of it. I've seen people utilize old washmachine tubs that way. You layer your root vegetable and also cabbage in it. Although you would have to make sure that you would have some kind of ventilation, maybe a pipe? sticking out of the ground. If you do try this make sure you mark your barried treasure with a post so you can find it in the winter....I lived in Wyoming for many winters and the snow is tremendous...You might also drain all the liquids from the freezer. Good luck.

You could also use it as a pantry for your canned goods, flour and sugar, etc.

Take the door off and use it as a shelving unit.

The biggest danger is the door trapping small children and pets, so if it is no longer on the unit, you have eliminated that problem.

--------

I once had a cat that crept into the fridge while I was taking out the milk. I only found out 'cause I re-opened the fridge a moment later to put the milk jug back in. The cat was happy and cool (it was a hot summer day), but I was very upset at what could have been.