Uses for Old Christmas or Greeting Cards

What do I do with my recycled Christmas cards? I took the fronts off and in the past have made gift tags with them. Now I am thinking of making them into a post card for Christmas next year. What does everyone else do with them?

Amy from Long Branch, NJ

Answers:

I especially love the Christmas cards that have outdoor snowy scenes with cozy looking cottages or little churches. I put them in picture frames that I buy at the dollar store and hang them up on the walls in little collage groupings during the holiday season, in the bathroom even. Also, if some have an especially nice Christmas Prayer, I also put those in frames and set them around on end tables, etc. (01/25/2009)

By Arlinn

A member of our Thriftyfun Community posted this idea last year.

Craft Project: Crocheted Recycled Christmas Cards

(01/25/2009)

By MCW

I used mine to make a very pretty fire screen, measure the fire place. Make a frame with 2x2's to fit it then wrap paper around the frame. I used brown wrapping paper for this. Use hot glue gum, then hot glue the cards to it, good luck. (01/27/2009)

By kw

You can make them into gift boxes.

http://www.craftypod.com/2007/10/29/how-to-make-a-gift-box-from-an-old-greeting-card/

(01/27/2009)

By chriself

I keep the backs of the cards which are shiny and plain and use them for encaustic art. (01/28/2009)

By Isobel44art

You could also check with your local Special Needs foundation. They accept old Cards of any occasion use them in different craft projects and also recycle them to make new ones. (01/28/2009)

By Jodi

St. Jude's Ranch for Children (home for abused and neglected youths) has a card reuse program. The kids cut off the front covers and use them to make new cards that are sold to earn money. I told my son's teacher about it and their whole class is involved now! The kids are so proud of the fact that they are helping other kids this way! (01/28/2009)

By By Susan

I used them to make photo albums for gifts this year. I used the front of the card and glued it to card stock. I then had pictures printed from our Christmas celebration from the previous year and glued them to card stock. I punched two holes in the top of all the cards and put ribbon through the holes and tied it so the pictures could be turned. I gave them for Christmas gifts to my family and every one loved them. (01/28/2009)

By Terri

Here's a site that has directions to make a Christmas tree, A bowl/basket, and an ornament from recycled cards. I thought they were great--hope you like them too!

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/50_days_of_holidays/a_recycling_christmas.php (01/28/2009)

By susanmajp

I use the card front to make new cards. I mount on scrapbook paper, sometimes I add embellishments (words, sequins, ribbons, sparkles, etc) They are beautiful. I have fun making and am recycling to boot!
(01/28/2009)

By Diana

Donate them to your local elementary school for art projects. (01/28/2009)

By louel53