NatureCrafts

Using Apple Tree Branches to Hang Quilt

I am using apple tree branches with bark and some kind of fungal growth to hang quilt art. Do I need to seal the branch? If so what with and how?

I looked up some projects using tree branches. Many of them do not do anything to the branch.

Please take no offense if I seem very adamant about this....PLEASE GET RID OF THAT BRANCH ASAP!! It is not good to bring any kind of fungus into you home! It could cause health issues....if you or someone in your family has any kind of allergy issues or is immuno-compromised. Why risk it! Seriously!

Not to mention the fact that a fungus can totally ruin your quilt!

Some people may tell you to clean the branch with bleach and it will be OK, but I personally would get rid of that branch and find one with no growth.

Once you find a clean one, it is best to always treat branches to prevent a variety of things...like future rot and pests that are in them coming out later.

I am very anti chemical, but I do like the minwax products for wood. It is not very expensive and has a nice result. To prepare the branch (do this all outside or in a well ventilated area), get rid of all the bark, sand the wood with fine sand paper until smooth, and follow the minwax can to seal.

Good luck!